TERRORISM & INSURGENCY KEY TREND AWARENESS IN AFRICA 2016 - By David Otto
20th January 2016
- The most visible terrorist groups in the region.
- The most vulnerable targets to watch out for.
- The most common tactics used by insurgents/terrorist.
- The most vulnerable African countries facing terrorism in 2016 <.
• Boko Haram , Alshabaab both linked to ISIL and Alqaeda (AQIM) remain the most visible and deadly terrorists groups in Africa. Al Murabitoun of Mokhtar Belmokhtar's which claimed responsibility for the recent Mali and Burkina Faso hotel attacks is a group to keep an eye on after it split from AQIM.
• The most common targets remain soft and crowded areas - Market places , hotels ( mostly those attracting western visitors ) restaurants , stadiums, places of worship, Cinemas, and other social gatherings. Hard targets including police stations, army barracks, critical infrastructures have occasionally been attacked.
• Suicide bombing using improvised explosive devices-IEDs - and vehicular Improvised explosive devices- VIEDS - is the most common tactics along side weapon assault on unsuspecting targets.
• Young and vulnerable women are most likely to be used for suicide bombings although young men are equally at risks. There are no particular known profiles for suicide bombers but recently - young women have been over used by terrorists groups like Boko Haram in Northern Nigeria, Northern Cameroon , Niger , Chad, Mali....
• Nigeria, Cameroon , Libya , Algeria, Niger , Chad, Mali, Kenya, Somalia, Uganda, CAR, South Sudan , Sudan , Burkina Faso... Remain the most affected and fragile zones for Salafist jihadist terrorism in 2016 nod for the next 5 years . Other vulnerable states include Ghana, Gambia, Gabon, Burundi, Ethiopia...
By David Otto
Image courtesy of Ngum Ngafor - Africallyspeaking.
TGS Counterterrorism and Organised crime Expert